The annual course for the Mexican Spiritual Assistants of the OFS and YouFra took place from 8th to 10th February 2017 at the St. John Paul II Pastoral House in San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco. The course was organised by the OFS National Executive Council and the Conference of Provincial Ministers OFM of Mexico, with the help of the National Assistants of the OFS: Fr. Abelardo Aranda Echeverría, OFM, Fr. Jesús Arrondo Aguerri, OFMCap and Fr. Francisco Vargas Aceves, OFMConv. Fr. Amando Trujillo Cano TOR, Assistant General OFS-YouFra, was invited to be the facilitator of the course. He presented the following topics:
- Presentation of the Handbook for assistance to the OFS and YouFra
- Origin, history and mission of the OFS
- The identity of the OFS - Secular Franciscan Spirituality
- Active presence of the OFS in the Church and in the world
- Spiritual and pastoral assistance to the OFS and YouFra, and
- Franciscan Youth: identity, development and relationship with the OFS.
The Presentations were followed by group work and plenary sessions. Some fifty Spiritual Assistants were present: OFM, OFMConv, OFMCap and a diocesan priest. They also counted with the presence and the support of five members of the National OFS Executive Council for the organisation and planning. The course took place in a spirit of fraternity, of dialogue and reflection, as well as prayer. The opening Mass was presided by Fr. Constantino Alonso Zaldivar, OFMCap, Custodian of Mexico-Texas, while the concluding Mass was presided by Fr. Amando.